Saturday, April 3, 2010

BP3_201041_Web2.0ToolsCarrotSticks


I discovered a fun web 2.0 tool that I believe my students would love using in the classroom and at home. The site is called CarrotSticks and you can visit it at: http://www.carrotsticks.com/play. I have been looking for something that my students can use to build on their math skills. This site is a great place for them to start. When you begin to play the math problems are simple and your level builds as you improve. I love how the students can choose if they need harder or easier problems to solve. It also provides you with choices for the type of math problems you want to solve. The students can choose from addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. Since I teach first grade the addition and subtraction problems are perfect. There is another fun aspect to this site and that is that the students can challenge each other in a timed competition. Once the challenger has accepted a timer starts and you both solve the same problems. The person who solves the most problems correctly wins carrots. The carrot sticks are the student’s way of keeping track of their progress. Once they have reached certain levels, the parents are sent an email telling them about their child’s’ success. This is a wonderful way for the parents to stay connected and the children to feel successful and proud of their accomplishments. Lastly another fun thing about this program is that the children get to create their own character. So while this program is highly educational it also provides the students with a creative way to express who they are. This site is completely free for basic math review and practice. There are additional skills covered in a more in-depth manner if you sign up for the plans they have offered. Parents can sign their children up for as little as $29.95 for a year. I truly believe that for my teaching purpose and the grade level that I teach, the basic free program will provide my students with plenty of review and extra practice with their math facts. CarrotSticks is a fun educational program that I cannot wait to introduce to my students during our computer time.

No comments:

Post a Comment